Sharad Purnima is the Full Moon night before the initiation of Winters, known as Sharad Ritu in Hindi. It also marks the harvest season and the conclusion of the monsoon.
The day becomes shorter and the temperatures go down and this causes the reason to celebrate the season of abundance and fulfilment. With the full Moon shining over the clear skies, the gentle shadow of the Moon depicts the time for transformation and renewal. The rice pudding/Kheer along with some cultural dance forms are some of the common observations during the celebrations.
It is also known as Kaumudi or Kojagrat Purnima in Nepal.
Table of Contents
शरद पूर्णिमा Date
Sharad Purnima falls on 28th October 2023. It usually comes in Ashwin or September- October and signifies harvest season in India and Nepal.
Purnima tithi will start from 4:32 AM (28th October) to 2:08 AM(29th October). The time for the moonrise is 5:02 PM on 28th October.
This year Sharad Purnima is accompanied by a partial lunar eclipse and it’s worth watching how this impacts our lives.
Significance And Observation
Sharad Poonam is one of the most religiously significant Full Moon nights of all time in the Hindu calendar. Here are some of the significance and observations on this date;
- The moonlight is supposed to inherit healing and nourishing properties and also drip elixir(Amrit).
- Freshly prepared Rice pudding(Kheer) is placed on the terrace for accumulating positive and divine moonlight.
- Goddess Laxmi is worshipped and fast is observed by the newlywed ladies on this Purnima. It is believed that this brings wealth and prosperity.
- It is also known as Raas Purnima as Lord Krishna performed the divine dance(Raas) with Gopis in Vrindavan.
- Devotees worship Chandra Dev (Moon) and Goddess Lakshmi and conclude their fast with Saradh Purnima Vrat Katha.
Wishes and Quotes
May all the blessings of the moon and Goddess Lakshmi shower upon you, on this Purnima night. Happy Sharad Purnima
May the heavenly rays of the moon brighten your soul, enlighten your mind and bring you delight and contentment. Warm wishes on Sharad Purnima 2023 to you.
Happy Sharad Purnima 2023. We wish this auspicious festival brings delight and peace to all of you, may Goddess Lakshmi bless you with good fortune and joy!
On the Incident of Sharad Purnima, The Full Moon Advances to Shower Blessings and Leave us with a Happy and Joyful Year Ahead.
Wishing you a joyous, beautiful and Happy Sharad Purnima. May with the eminent moonshine, come along many blessings for you and your loved ones
May the divine moonlight of Sarad Purnima lead you to a feat of happiness, fulfilment, and prosperity. Happy Sharad Purnima 2023
Here’s an image to share on the occasion of Sarad Purnima 2023;